I am a melty popsicle. It's been hot, but I think this condition is particular to my make up. Even our guests visiting from upstate New York, in all their whiteness, and I refer only to their physical whiteness, are not stressing from this heat. They spend more months out of the year in cold and they are not melted. They are a little pink. At all times, I am dripping.
Some people sweat and others glow. I am drenched. Here in Barbados, those who have lived here all their lives, don't even look like the heat is phasing them. When I first arrived in Barbados, my friend Eva, who was visiting and also sweating her brains out, and I were told that after being here a while, our "blood would thin and we would better able to handle the heat." After careful consideration and commentary from my husband, we realized this was kind of ridiculous and impossible. As Didier pointed out, "Your blood is going to thin? How is that going to happen? So there should be fewer heart attacks on the island then and with the national weight problem, I don't think that is the case." All said with a smirk and French accent, he still had a point. I think what the person was trying to say was that I should acclimate at some point and respond less profusely to the temps. One year and counting. Sweaty mess.
(c) Copyright 2010. City Mom in the Jungle.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment